Saturday, June 16, 2012



Kniphofia aka "Red Hot Poker" - a wonderful late spring bloomer in my garden. I think there were at least three dozen bloom stalks this year.  It is planted in my "orange and purple" bed and begins a progression of wonderful color for the summer. It is a magnet for hummingbirds - I see rufous and Anna's, house finches and black capped chickadees.  The other plants in this bed include orange tiger lilies which are just starting to bloom, a coral rose which is still in bud, and a few different varieties of lavender almost in bloom. In addition there are copper colored bearded iris.  This bed includes a bird feeder, two bird baths and one of my first yard art purchases from many years ago - a copper heart the birds like and a bowling ball which Erik made as a satirical comment on the copper heart! New this year is china pitcher, saucer and spoon which I received as a birthday gift.
The weather today is very unusual - in the low 70s and now raining. Reminds me of Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment